Residents put on Alert as Lava Flow from Kilauea Volcano Continues to Advance
On Sunday, local authorities announced that the lava flow from an erupting volcano has advanced about 250 yards since Saturday morning. The lava was flowing at the rate of around about 10 to 15 yards an hour.
Due to the lava flow’s advancement, many residents in a rural area of Hawaii were put on an alert. Darryl Oliveira, director of civil defense for Hawaii County, said that the lava passed through a Buddhist cemetery. It covered the grave sites in rural region of Puna.
The nearest home from the flow front is at least 300 yards. Oliveira affirmed that residents living in the nearest home affirmed that they can see the flow from their balcony and are prepared to evacuate. Authorities concerned have asked the residents to complete all the needed preparations by Tuesday, as there can be an evacuation.
The officials also stated that depending on the flow rate, the evacuation plan can be changed. As per Oliveira, there were at least 50 to 60 structures, including homes and businesses that can be impacted.
On Saturday, authorities concerned went door-to-door to inform residents about the need to be ready for evacuation. Majority of people have decided where they could go and very few have affirmed that they may need to go to a shelter.
Since 1983, Kilauea volcano has been erupting and majority of the lava has flowed to south. Over the past two years, the lava has flowed to the northeast. From June, the lava flow has come to a level, where it is threatening Pahoa.
The flow front is 35 feet wide. As mentioned above, if the lava continues to move at the speed of about 10 to 15 yards then it could cover Highway 130 within a week or two. “The viability of the town will remain. A flow field here will just add another aspect to an already unique town”, affirmed officials.
- Tesla’s Model 3 EV with 93-mile range being advertised on Canadian website
- Tesla delays deliveries of refreshed Model S and Model X electric vehicles
- Tesla offering 50% discount on Supercharging at night in California
- GM takes wraps off Hummer EV SUV version; International launch scheduled for 2023
- Toyota’s plug-in car sales in U.S. jump to almost 10,000 in first quarter of 2021
New Zealand News
- Hyundai Motor Corp to create ultra-fast EV charging network E-pit in Korea
- MGE gets six-month extension for South Korea’s Inspire Entertainment Resort development project
- Price of two cheapest trims of Tesla Model 3 electric sedan increased by $500
- Genting Malaysia asks employees to accept reduced pay; executives to take leave without pay
- Tesla to design & build affordable EV in China: Tom Zhu
The Health Department of Northwest Michigan has...Read More
American gaming and hospitality giant Boyd Gaming...Read More
An American citizen who had boasted in front of an...Read More
Pushing the long-awaited Chicago casino project...Read More
A study was conducted to evaluate the effect a...Read More
Tech biggie Google’s recent filing with the US...Read More