Arne Duncan aims to improve Education Sector
United States Secretary of Education Arne Duncan has been considered as the most powerful education secretary. On Monday, during a speech at a D. C. school, Duncan said that he has an aim improve education sector by maintaining standardized tests in grades three through eight in high school.
According to No Child Left Behind Act (NCLB), standardized testing was meant to be a measure to hold schools accountable. Moreover, it included development of tiered system as a measuring stick. The stick measure student performance however didn't provide a good means of holding accountable the teachers who failed to meet the standard with those underperforming students.
During the speech, he also challenged leaders of Republican Party who are making efforts to ensure key elements of the law remain intact. For example, mandatory intervention in failing schools, annual testing of students and public reporting of results.
Duncan said in the speech, "For a Republican Party that has fought hard against wasting money that has pushed for a focus on results for taxpayer dollars, turning back the clock would be truly hypocritical".
It was learnt from Duncan's speech that he is willing to work on a rewrite of the 14-year-old law with Grand Old Party (GOP). The law is the 1965 Elementary and Secondary Education Act and Duncan gave green signal to the growing national movement against standardized testing. He called on Congress to plan to decide limits for students to spend on state and district standardized testing. And let the parents know if their children go beyond those limits.
- Casino tycoon Sheldon Adelson emerges as biggest US political donor over past two decades
- Donald Trump losing voter base and attacks Bubba Wallace on Twitter
- Illinois Governor Pritzker signs legislation into law, reducing taxes on Chicago integrated resort’s GGR
- Nebraska voters likely to face commercial Casino Ballot referendum in November 2020
- DraftKings signs deal with Casino Queen to offer sports betting services in Illinois
- Morongo Casino Resort employee tests positive for COVID-19 weeks after reopening
- MGM Resorts’ Excalibur Hotel & Casino in Las Vegas to reopen its doors on Thursday
- Nikola Motors stock jumps after the company announced electric truck reservation date
- Nevada’s El Cortez Hotel & Casino excited to welcome guests back after prolonged COVID-19 lockdown
- Fantasy Springs Resort Casino reopens its doors to the public
New Zealand News
- Bridge Investment ordered to stop work on Tinian Casino project due to lack of permits
- Philippines government warns public not to patronize illegal online gambling operations
- Eldorado Resorts’ capital raising plans could be catalyst to finalize $17.3bn Caesars deal
- BetConstruct obtains license to offer Sportsbook and Casino products in Swedish market
- SkyCity reports “encouraging” business since reopening of three casinos following COVID-19 shutdown
A study was conducted to evaluate the effect a...Read More
Tech biggie Google’s recent filing with the US...Read More
Docker CEO Ben Golub said in an earlier-this-week...Read More
In a blog post published on Thursday, Facebook’s...Read More
Tech giant Microsoft has announced the launch of a...Read More