Chicago police officer saves man from icy Lake Michigan
A cop from the Chicago Police Department saved the life of a 58-year-old man by pulling him out of icy Lake Michigan off Oak Street Beach on Sunday afternoon, authorities announced.
Near North District Officer Wadell Hardy reached the scene at about 1 p.m. after someone called police reporting that a person was struggling to come out of water near 1000 N. Lake Shore Drive. Witnesses told police that the victim might have attempted to take a brief plunge in the cold water but failed to come out of the icy water on his own.
When Hardy spotted the man, he had that look of fear and was yelling, “I can’t hold on! I can’t hold on!” Initially, Hardy was afraid to venture out onto the ice, which was necessary to save the man. Eventually, he went ahead and rescued the man.
But Hardy was able to pull the man out of the icy water only part-way. His legs remained in the lake water until a diver arrived at the scene and helped pull the victim out.
Police Dept. Spokesman Officer Veejay Zala said the Police Marine Unit responded and the man was successfully pulled out of the icy water.
The victim, whose named was not released by the authorities, was taken to Northwestern Memorial Hospital in critical condition for treatment.
- Hyundai announces battery leasing accord to trim down EV prices, coordinate reuse
- Samsung SDI to invest $849 million to expand EV battery plant in Hungary
- Pennsylvania Lottery on track to break revenue record: Drew Svitko
- Frigid temperatures & ice storms force Oklahoma Cherokee casinos to close again
- Former Las Vegas 311 Boyz gang member & his girlfriend nabbed in Idaho
New Zealand News
- First deliveries of all-electric Porsche in Australia to take place this weekend
- Crown Resorts suffers record six-month loss due to COVID-19 closures
- Australia’s Crown Resorts 'not suitable' for Sydney gaming license: Inquiry Commission
- What Does Phasing Out Cheques Tell Us About Finance in New Zealand?
- South Korean casino operator GKL closes third casino amid soaring cases of COVID-19
American gaming and hospitality giant Boyd Gaming...Read More
An American citizen who had boasted in front of an...Read More
Pushing the long-awaited Chicago casino project...Read More
A study was conducted to evaluate the effect a...Read More
Tech biggie Google’s recent filing with the US...Read More