REM Vancouver Aquarium Plans to send 10 Experts to Help Lessen Growing Crisis of Starving Sea Lion Pups in California
Hundreds of starving sea lion pups are washing up along the coast in California. Seeing the troublesome situation, the Vancouver Aquarium is sending its experts to the spot.
The plan is to send 10 trained staff members from its marine mammal rescue centre to California. Main aim behind the move is to lessen the increasing crisis. Over the last few months, around 2,000 sea lions have been stranded on California's beaches.
Nearby rescue facilities are now struggling to handle the situation. Martin Haulena, a Vancouver Aquarium veterinarian, said that the rescue centers need help, as they require veterinary technologists who can take blood samples and perform diagnostic tests.
Help is also needed to quickly assess a large number of sick sea lions. Experts affirmed that it is not uncommon for sea lion pups to wash ashore after separating from their mothers. But the matter of concern is that the number of affected pups in California is five times more this year than in 2013, which was considered as a bad season.
Experts have been trying to gauge the reasons behind the same. As per them, warmer waters due to a mild El Nino weather pattern are having an effect on sea lion birthing grounds off the southern California coast.
Haulena was of the view that the warm water has an impact on sea lions food supply as well. He said that most difficult situation is for the animals that about to be weaned. It would not be wrong to affirm that it is a perfect storm for these little animals.
The rescued pups will require a lot of fluids, nutrition and acute care before they can be released back into the wild. But there will be many among them that will require months of rehabilitation.
- Violent protests could discourage some guests from returning to Las Vegas casinos when they reopen
- Casino magnate Derek Stevens buys 1,000 flight tickets to help boost Las Vegas’ struggling economy
- What You Should Consider While Choosing the Best CBD Products?
- Virginia’s Hard Rock Bristol Casino proposal receives positive feedback from area residents
- Illinois Senate Approves Chicago Casino Plan
New Zealand News
- Macau Gambling King Stanley Ho passes away aged 98
- Tensions between US and China may hurt Las Vegas’ Casino Revenue
- Nevada Gaming Watchdog forces Casinos to submit their reopening plans
- Star Entertainment announces $2.3bn funding for Queen’s Wharf casino resort in Brisbane
- Air New Zealand announces layoff for 300 engineering and Maintenance jobs
In an announcement made on Tuesday, Disney Research...Read More
On the eve of Christmas season and with the...Read More
Do you hate fingerprints on your car’s infotainment...Read More