BASE Jumping Claims Climbers, Dean Potter’s and Graham Hunt’s Life
The daredevil, Dean Potter, 43, renowned for his daring climbs and BASE jumps, was one of two men killed after jumping from a 7,500-foot promontory called Taft Point in Yosemite National Park. The other climber accompanying Potter, Graham Hunt, 29, has also been found dead.
The two men jumped around nightfall, wearing wingsuits, to help them glide but unfortunately the parachutes designed to slow their descent had not been deployed. BASE jumping is illegal in all national parks, therefore, these men jumped at dusk or at night to avoid being caught by park rangers.
BASE stands for buildings, antennas, spans and Earth such as cliffs and mountaintops that jumpers can parachute from. Corey Rich, a photographer who documented some of Potter's feats, remarked that BASE jumping is the most dangerous thing you can do, as every time you jump it's a roll of the dice.
A search-and-rescue operation was launched after neither of the two responded to radio calls or arrived at a preset meeting point in the park. The bodies were spotted along the wall of rock in the Yosemite Valley by the California Highway Patrol helicopter. Scott Gediman, the Park ranger stated that a full investigation by park officials into the deaths was underway.
Nevertheless, Potter was well acquainted with the dangers associated with these perilous tasks. Chris McNamara, a fellow climber, stated, “He always recognized how dangerous the sport was and at the same time how magical it was, the tension between those two things”.
Potter holds records for being the first to climb three-quarters of Half Dome in just four hours. He scaled El Capitan with only his hands and feet and a rope to prevent him from falling.
Though an ace climber, Potter was surrounded by several controversies; He was kicked out of Yosemite several times, the clothing company Patagonia dropped its sponsorship of him, and last year Cliff Bar also ended its sponsorship of Potter.
- GM takes wraps off BrightDrop EV600 all-electric delivery van
- GM teases automobile enthusiasts with mysterious electric vehicles at CES
- New ET7 Electric Sedan Brings NIO Closer To Fully Autonomous Driving Capability
- Massachusetts Governor Baker’s 25% capacity rule is death warrant for Casinos: Richard McGowan
- San Diego Tribal Casinos refute report blaming them of spreading COVID-19
New Zealand News
- What Does Phasing Out Cheques Tell Us About Finance in New Zealand?
- South Korean casino operator GKL closes third casino amid soaring cases of COVID-19
- Top Live Casinos in India and Pure Casino Signup Offer
- Independent MP Justin Field making efforts to prevent NSW from compensating Crown Resorts
- President-elect Biden’s Climate Plan to provide big boost to EVs and green power
American gaming and hospitality giant Boyd Gaming...Read More
An American citizen who had boasted in front of an...Read More
Pushing the long-awaited Chicago casino project...Read More
A study was conducted to evaluate the effect a...Read More
Tech biggie Google’s recent filing with the US...Read More