Flesh-eating Virus kills Florida Man
A Florida man has become the fourth victim of a deadly bacterium from Gulf of Mexico salt waters, also called flesh-eating virus. The man succumbed to the illness on Thursday after he contracted it while swimming in Mississippi. The name and age of the latest victim of the virus has not been yet revealed under the state's privacy laws.
The Florida Health Department has revealed that the flesh-eating virus is actually the bacteria, called Vibrio vulnificus. A person can also contract the disease by eating raw seafood seawater, or through a skin wound.
The infection has become a big concern over the years, majorly because of extreme heat, said Anne Gayle Ellis, Florida Department of Health spokesperson. She said the infections are rare, but very dangerous.
Florida health officials have so far come across 10 cases of the infection this year and four of them have died. People are being advised by advisories to not consume raw shellfish and anyone who has an open wound or scratches must stay away from the water.
The vibrio bacteria have a potential of breaking down the skin, which can send one under the knife, require amputation or even inflict death.
"The way to protect yourself from skin infections from vibrio is by performing good wound care and you do that by covering the wounds with dry clean bandages until they're healed", said Dr. Carina Blackmore, the deputy state epidemiologist in Florida.
The bacteria do not affect much those with good health, but those with compromised immune can face the brunt of the infections.
- Las Vegas Convention & Visitors Authority to acquire Las Vegas Monorail for over $24 million
- Leading investment bank ‘unsure’ about upcoming Resorts World Las Vegas Casino’s success
- California Supreme Court ruling paves way for tribal casino near Madera
- Drew Las Vegas Casino arsonist sentenced to five years in federal prison
- Months-long Casino closures could impact New York State’s schools, cities with budget crisis
New Zealand News
- Donaco International reports H1 net loss of AU$59 million, showing significant year-on-year improvement
- Why the NZ Dollar Could Have a Very Bright Future
- Sydney’s Star Casino fined $90,000 for allowing minors to gamble in 2019
- Danville Casino Campaign being led by former Caesars CEO Tony Rodio
- Gaming regulators in no mood to allow Imperial Pacific to walk away from financial obligations
An American citizen who had boasted in front of an...Read More
Pushing the long-awaited Chicago casino project...Read More
A study was conducted to evaluate the effect a...Read More
Tech biggie Google’s recent filing with the US...Read More
Docker CEO Ben Golub said in an earlier-this-week...Read More