UC campuses admit fewer California residents for the fall
University of California has accepted fewer state high school students as freshmen for the fall but the number of new students from outside the state and abroad has jumped again, UC officials announced on Thursday.
According to data released by UC officials, a total of 92,324 high school students were accepted as freshmen to one of UC's nine undergraduate campuses. The figure represents 58 per cent of the total number of students who had applied for admission.
With 61,834 students from with in the state, California accounts for more than two-thirds of all the applicants who were accepted as freshmen by the public system. But it marks a decline of 1,039 from 2014.
Merely three campuses of the UC system, viz. Riverside, Merced and San Diego, admitted more California students than last year. The number of non-California students jumped by 3,453 year-over-year to 30,490. The numbers of Latino freshmen slipped at five UC campuses.
Michele Siqueiros, the president of Campaign for College Opportunity, said, "As a majority-minority state, where one in two children under the age of 18 is Latino, we simply cannot meet our economic or workforce needs without ensuring significantly more Latino and black students are admitted to the UC."
Latinos represent nearly 30 per cent of all California freshmen who have been given a spot. The figure is notably up from 25 per cent for white students and 4 per cent for black students.
- Tesla’s Model 3 EV with 93-mile range being advertised on Canadian website
- Tesla delays deliveries of refreshed Model S and Model X electric vehicles
- Tesla offering 50% discount on Supercharging at night in California
- GM takes wraps off Hummer EV SUV version; International launch scheduled for 2023
- Toyota’s plug-in car sales in U.S. jump to almost 10,000 in first quarter of 2021
New Zealand News
- Hyundai Motor Corp to create ultra-fast EV charging network E-pit in Korea
- MGE gets six-month extension for South Korea’s Inspire Entertainment Resort development project
- Price of two cheapest trims of Tesla Model 3 electric sedan increased by $500
- Genting Malaysia asks employees to accept reduced pay; executives to take leave without pay
- Tesla to design & build affordable EV in China: Tom Zhu
The Health Department of Northwest Michigan has...Read More
American gaming and hospitality giant Boyd Gaming...Read More
An American citizen who had boasted in front of an...Read More
Pushing the long-awaited Chicago casino project...Read More
A study was conducted to evaluate the effect a...Read More
Tech biggie Google’s recent filing with the US...Read More