UC campuses admit fewer California residents for the fall
University of California has accepted fewer state high school students as freshmen for the fall but the number of new students from outside the state and abroad has jumped again, UC officials announced on Thursday.
According to data released by UC officials, a total of 92,324 high school students were accepted as freshmen to one of UC's nine undergraduate campuses. The figure represents 58 per cent of the total number of students who had applied for admission.
With 61,834 students from with in the state, California accounts for more than two-thirds of all the applicants who were accepted as freshmen by the public system. But it marks a decline of 1,039 from 2014.
Merely three campuses of the UC system, viz. Riverside, Merced and San Diego, admitted more California students than last year. The number of non-California students jumped by 3,453 year-over-year to 30,490. The numbers of Latino freshmen slipped at five UC campuses.
Michele Siqueiros, the president of Campaign for College Opportunity, said, "As a majority-minority state, where one in two children under the age of 18 is Latino, we simply cannot meet our economic or workforce needs without ensuring significantly more Latino and black students are admitted to the UC."
Latinos represent nearly 30 per cent of all California freshmen who have been given a spot. The figure is notably up from 25 per cent for white students and 4 per cent for black students.
- Del Lago Casino’s furloughed worker creates petition to reopen as operator planning to lay off over 1,000 staff
- Oklahoma will have to bear cost of poorly negotiated gaming compact deal with Native American tribes: Governor Stitt
- Majority of Americans want COVID-19 vaccine on market before visiting Las Vegas: Macquarie Survey
- Nevada man arrested for trespassing after he allegedly refused to wear face mask at Hard Rock Casino Bar
- Stakelogic’s Dragons & Magic video slot takes players through dark forest full of mysteries
New Zealand News
- PAGCor suffers first-half deficit of $32.5 million due to corona virus-related closures
- Cambodian casino operator NagaCorp all set to partially reopen flagship Phnom Penh gaming venue
- Bridge Investment ordered to stop work on Tinian Casino project due to lack of permits
- Philippines government warns public not to patronize illegal online gambling operations
- Eldorado Resorts’ capital raising plans could be catalyst to finalize $17.3bn Caesars deal
An American citizen who had boasted in front of an...Read More
Pushing the long-awaited Chicago casino project...Read More
A study was conducted to evaluate the effect a...Read More
Tech biggie Google’s recent filing with the US...Read More
Docker CEO Ben Golub said in an earlier-this-week...Read More