California lawmakers urge UC to act against anti-Semitism
California State Assembly on Monday approved a measure urging the University of California (UC) to denounce all forms of anti-Semitism.
Some pro-Israel groups and Jewish people have been pressing UC authorities to take up the U.S. State Department's definition of anti-Semitism, which defines more general ethnic and religious hatred against Jews. It also declares that it is anti-Semitic to demonize Israel and refuse to accept Israel's right to exist.
But, many organizations that have been protesting Israel's occupation of the West Bank have argued that such a definition would restrict right to free speech and conflate disapproval of Israel with anti-Semitism.
The resolution by the state Assembly was introduced in response to many disturbing incidents at UC, including the one in which some unknown people defaced a Jewish fraternity house with swastikas.
Assemblyman Richard Bloom, a Democrat from Santa Monica, said before a vote on the measure, "It is imperative that the California Legislature continues its strong tradition of standing up to hatred and ignorance."
Meanwhile, UC officials have declared that it will not undertake any new policies regarding anti-Jewish bias on its ten campuses at the regents' upcoming meeting. Instead, the regents will discuss various forms of intolerance, including anti-Semitism, at the subsequent meeting in September this year.
- Tesla’s Model 3 EV with 93-mile range being advertised on Canadian website
- Tesla delays deliveries of refreshed Model S and Model X electric vehicles
- Tesla offering 50% discount on Supercharging at night in California
- GM takes wraps off Hummer EV SUV version; International launch scheduled for 2023
- Toyota’s plug-in car sales in U.S. jump to almost 10,000 in first quarter of 2021
New Zealand News
- Hyundai Motor Corp to create ultra-fast EV charging network E-pit in Korea
- MGE gets six-month extension for South Korea’s Inspire Entertainment Resort development project
- Price of two cheapest trims of Tesla Model 3 electric sedan increased by $500
- Genting Malaysia asks employees to accept reduced pay; executives to take leave without pay
- Tesla to design & build affordable EV in China: Tom Zhu
The Health Department of Northwest Michigan has...Read More
American gaming and hospitality giant Boyd Gaming...Read More
An American citizen who had boasted in front of an...Read More
Pushing the long-awaited Chicago casino project...Read More
A study was conducted to evaluate the effect a...Read More
Tech biggie Google’s recent filing with the US...Read More