Michigan focuses on prevention of tobacco use by raising cigarette tax
According to a report by the American Cancer Society Cancer Action Network, Michigan failed to reduce the sufferings of the people who regularly use tobacco and tobacco products. It further added that measures should be taken by conducting various cessation programs and creating awareness regarding the harmful effects of tobacco on the body.
Michigan accounts for 21.5 percent (of which 11.9 percent falls under youth category) smokers which is a big number as compared to the national average of 17.8 percent (15.7 percent in youth category).
Andrew Schepers, spokesman for Cancer Action Network in Michigan, stated that out of 8,300 people diagnosed with lung cancer, over 6,000 will eventually die. And to prevent this scenario, people who are actually determined to quit tobacco should be encouraged by indulging them into prevention programs.
However, Michigan lacks funds to raise such programs as only 3.4 percent goes to the Healthy Michigan fund that is known to finance such health initiatives.
According to the reports, the last tax hike was seen in 2004 that added $2 tax on cigarettes that led to an effective cut back in smokers.
Thus, the reports recommend raising the tax amount significantly which will eventually decrease the smoking rate and use of tobacco products among people.
- LG Chem to supply battery cells for Tesla’s Model Y electric SUV in China
- GiG extends sports-betting partnership with North Macedonia casino operator KAK DOO Skopje
- Payment Options for Indian Bettors on Online Casinos Operating in India
- Ohio’s Mahoning Valley Race Course cancels live horse racing for 2 weeks after employee tests positive for Covid-19
- Arcimoto creates new Roadster model by chopping top off 3-wheeled e-car’s top
New Zealand News
- Top Live Casinos in India and Pure Casino Signup Offer
- Independent MP Justin Field making efforts to prevent NSW from compensating Crown Resorts
- President-elect Biden’s Climate Plan to provide big boost to EVs and green power
- Almost 90% of new electricity production in 2020 will be renewable: EPA
- The Importance of Casinos to Cryptocurrencies
American gaming and hospitality giant Boyd Gaming...Read More
An American citizen who had boasted in front of an...Read More
Pushing the long-awaited Chicago casino project...Read More
A study was conducted to evaluate the effect a...Read More
Tech biggie Google’s recent filing with the US...Read More