Ecstatic discovery: a glowing sea turtle
It’s an attention-grabbing discovery: a glowing sea turtle by marine biologist David Gruber. Gruber recently discovered the glowing turtle on his night dive in the Solomon Islands. While filming biofluorescence in small sharks and coral reefs, the City University of New York researcher saw a hawksbill sea turtle whose shell was emitting light of red and green color.
Biofluorescence is a phenomenon in which organisms absorb light and reflect it back in different colors. This phenomenon is seen in a number of animals, but for the first time it has been found in a reptile.
Alexander Gaos, director of the Eastern Pacific Hawksbill Initiative, said, “I've been [studying turtles] for a long time and I don't think anyone's ever seen this”.
National Geographic reports the phenomenon is used by glowing turtles for attracting, mating and concealing prey. But it is not known by now where exactly their population prevails.
Scientists told the National Geographic that the glowing turtle emits red color which could be caused by algae on the shell but neon green color is without a doubt from the turtle.
The glowing turtles are decisively endangered because of the malevolence human practices such as fishing and poaching. It would be a disgrace if these luminous animals run down the population.
- Tesla’s Model 3 EV with 93-mile range being advertised on Canadian website
- Tesla delays deliveries of refreshed Model S and Model X electric vehicles
- Tesla offering 50% discount on Supercharging at night in California
- GM takes wraps off Hummer EV SUV version; International launch scheduled for 2023
- Toyota’s plug-in car sales in U.S. jump to almost 10,000 in first quarter of 2021
New Zealand News
- Hyundai Motor Corp to create ultra-fast EV charging network E-pit in Korea
- MGE gets six-month extension for South Korea’s Inspire Entertainment Resort development project
- Price of two cheapest trims of Tesla Model 3 electric sedan increased by $500
- Genting Malaysia asks employees to accept reduced pay; executives to take leave without pay
- Tesla to design & build affordable EV in China: Tom Zhu
The Health Department of Northwest Michigan has...Read More
American gaming and hospitality giant Boyd Gaming...Read More
An American citizen who had boasted in front of an...Read More
Pushing the long-awaited Chicago casino project...Read More
A study was conducted to evaluate the effect a...Read More
Tech biggie Google’s recent filing with the US...Read More