Pennsylvania Task Force Calls Increase in Preventive Measures against Lyme Disease
On Wednesday, the Pennsylvania task force called for an increase in surveillance, education and common sense preventive measures to fight against Lyme disease. The 64-page report by the task force mentioned both mainstream medical practitioners as well as representatives of a group that prodives months of high-dose treatment to patients with the disease.
Paul Auwaerter, an infectious-disease specialist at the Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine, said that long-term treatments carry significant risks of infections and blood clots. Also, high-doses of multiple antibiotics can even cause problem of drug-resistant bacteria. John Goldman, an infectious-disease specialist with Pinnacle Health in Harrisburg and also a task Force member, appreciates his team for involving in ‘vigorous debate’. “I prefer to concentrate on the things we were in agreement with rather than some of the things that we disagreed about”.
For the first time, the black-legged deer ticks that transmit Lyme disease had been found in all 67 counties of the state, according to the state Department of Environmental Protection report sent earlier this month. Harold Smith, Bloomsburg physician and a representative of the second group, said the panel came out with good, broad, general advice regarding public education.
According to mainstream physicians, they do not have a reliable alternative treatment except for long-term antibiotic treatment. Tomas J. Aguilar, task force chairman and director of the health department's Bureau of Health Promotion and Risk Reduction, responded to mainstream physicians by saying that prevention is better and more important in such types of disease.
- Hyundai announces battery leasing accord to trim down EV prices, coordinate reuse
- Samsung SDI to invest $849 million to expand EV battery plant in Hungary
- Pennsylvania Lottery on track to break revenue record: Drew Svitko
- Frigid temperatures & ice storms force Oklahoma Cherokee casinos to close again
- Former Las Vegas 311 Boyz gang member & his girlfriend nabbed in Idaho
New Zealand News
- First deliveries of all-electric Porsche in Australia to take place this weekend
- Crown Resorts suffers record six-month loss due to COVID-19 closures
- Australia’s Crown Resorts 'not suitable' for Sydney gaming license: Inquiry Commission
- What Does Phasing Out Cheques Tell Us About Finance in New Zealand?
- South Korean casino operator GKL closes third casino amid soaring cases of COVID-19
American gaming and hospitality giant Boyd Gaming...Read More
An American citizen who had boasted in front of an...Read More
Pushing the long-awaited Chicago casino project...Read More
A study was conducted to evaluate the effect a...Read More
Tech biggie Google’s recent filing with the US...Read More