Alarming number of unhealthy seal pups turning up on California coast
An alarming number of fur seal pups are turning up, emaciated and weak, on the coast of California, prompting marine experts to warn that it could be a sign of a potential oceanic distress.
Jeff Boehm, executive director of the Marine Mammal Center, said a record number of unhealthy northern fur seal pups were found stranded on beaches. Most of the stranded pups weigh only slightly more than the typical birth weight for the species.
Speaking about the poor health condition of the turning up seal pups, Boehm said, “They’re adorable, but on the other hand they’re these little bags of skin and bones.”
As of Saturday, the Marine Mammal Center had taken in nearly 90 northern fur seals. Marine experts estimate that these seals are between 4 and 5 months old. According to data available with the center, the previous record for these seals founded stranded on shore was 31 pups in 2006.
Usually, these seals live in the Pacific Ocean and near islands and are rarely found on shore.
The increasing number of stranded northern fur seals is the latest challenge in a string of alarming events that experts have been struggling for a long time to address. Previously, experts were struggled to address an unusual mortality rate among California sea lions.
- Casino tycoon Sheldon Adelson emerges as biggest US political donor over past two decades
- Donald Trump losing voter base and attacks Bubba Wallace on Twitter
- Illinois Governor Pritzker signs legislation into law, reducing taxes on Chicago integrated resort’s GGR
- Nebraska voters likely to face commercial Casino Ballot referendum in November 2020
- DraftKings signs deal with Casino Queen to offer sports betting services in Illinois
- Morongo Casino Resort employee tests positive for COVID-19 weeks after reopening
- MGM Resorts’ Excalibur Hotel & Casino in Las Vegas to reopen its doors on Thursday
- Nikola Motors stock jumps after the company announced electric truck reservation date
- Nevada’s El Cortez Hotel & Casino excited to welcome guests back after prolonged COVID-19 lockdown
- Fantasy Springs Resort Casino reopens its doors to the public
New Zealand News
- Bridge Investment ordered to stop work on Tinian Casino project due to lack of permits
- Philippines government warns public not to patronize illegal online gambling operations
- Eldorado Resorts’ capital raising plans could be catalyst to finalize $17.3bn Caesars deal
- BetConstruct obtains license to offer Sportsbook and Casino products in Swedish market
- SkyCity reports “encouraging” business since reopening of three casinos following COVID-19 shutdown
A study was conducted to evaluate the effect a...Read More
Tech biggie Google’s recent filing with the US...Read More
Docker CEO Ben Golub said in an earlier-this-week...Read More
In a blog post published on Thursday, Facebook’s...Read More
Tech giant Microsoft has announced the launch of a...Read More