More Americans Dying Due To Alcohol Addiction
A recent report has shown that alcohol is claiming higher number of lives in America. The rate at which people are dying due to alcohol consumption has not seen in past 35 years, according to a new federal data.
According to the report, in 2014, there were about 9.6 deaths from alcohol-induced causes, including alcohol poisoning and cirrhosis, per 100,000 people. The data shows an increase of 37% since 2002.
The data on the alcohol-induced fatalities excludes deaths from drunken driving, other accidents and homicides committed under the influence of alcohol, said experts. They said if these causes were included in the report, then the annual toll of deaths directly or indirectly caused by alcohol would be closer to 90,000, according to the US Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC).
In past recent years, the public health experts have highly stressed on overdose deaths from heroin and prescription painkillers, which have risen rapidly since the early 2000s. But data showed that in 2014 more number of people died from alcohol-induced causes than from overdoses of prescription painkillers and heroin combined, said the CDC.
The total number of deaths from alcohol were 30, 722 whereas the total number of deaths from overdoses of prescription painkillers and heroin combined were 28, 647.
Philip J. Cook, a Duke University professor who studies alcohol consumption patterns and their effects, said, “Since the prevalence of heavy drinking tends to follow closely with per capita consumption, it is likely that one explanation for the growth in alcohol-related deaths is that more people are drinking more”.
- Majority of Americans want COVID-19 vaccine on market before visiting Las Vegas: Macquarie Survey
- Nevada man arrested for trespassing after he allegedly refused to wear face mask at Hard Rock Casino Bar
- Stakelogic’s Dragons & Magic video slot takes players through dark forest full of mysteries
- Colorado reports $25.6 million revenue for first month of legal sports betting
- Scientific Games urges Rhode Island lawmakers to reopen bidding for instant lottery ticket contract
New Zealand News
- Cambodian casino operator NagaCorp all set to partially reopen flagship Phnom Penh gaming venue
- Bridge Investment ordered to stop work on Tinian Casino project due to lack of permits
- Philippines government warns public not to patronize illegal online gambling operations
- Eldorado Resorts’ capital raising plans could be catalyst to finalize $17.3bn Caesars deal
- BetConstruct obtains license to offer Sportsbook and Casino products in Swedish market
An American citizen who had boasted in front of an...Read More
Pushing the long-awaited Chicago casino project...Read More
A study was conducted to evaluate the effect a...Read More
Tech biggie Google’s recent filing with the US...Read More
Docker CEO Ben Golub said in an earlier-this-week...Read More