More Americans Dying Due To Alcohol Addiction
A recent report has shown that alcohol is claiming higher number of lives in America. The rate at which people are dying due to alcohol consumption has not seen in past 35 years, according to a new federal data.
According to the report, in 2014, there were about 9.6 deaths from alcohol-induced causes, including alcohol poisoning and cirrhosis, per 100,000 people. The data shows an increase of 37% since 2002.
The data on the alcohol-induced fatalities excludes deaths from drunken driving, other accidents and homicides committed under the influence of alcohol, said experts. They said if these causes were included in the report, then the annual toll of deaths directly or indirectly caused by alcohol would be closer to 90,000, according to the US Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC).
In past recent years, the public health experts have highly stressed on overdose deaths from heroin and prescription painkillers, which have risen rapidly since the early 2000s. But data showed that in 2014 more number of people died from alcohol-induced causes than from overdoses of prescription painkillers and heroin combined, said the CDC.
The total number of deaths from alcohol were 30, 722 whereas the total number of deaths from overdoses of prescription painkillers and heroin combined were 28, 647.
Philip J. Cook, a Duke University professor who studies alcohol consumption patterns and their effects, said, “Since the prevalence of heavy drinking tends to follow closely with per capita consumption, it is likely that one explanation for the growth in alcohol-related deaths is that more people are drinking more”.
- Violent protests could discourage some guests from returning to Las Vegas casinos when they reopen
- Casino magnate Derek Stevens buys 1,000 flight tickets to help boost Las Vegas’ struggling economy
- What You Should Consider While Choosing the Best CBD Products?
- Virginia’s Hard Rock Bristol Casino proposal receives positive feedback from area residents
- Illinois Senate Approves Chicago Casino Plan
New Zealand News
- Macau Gambling King Stanley Ho passes away aged 98
- Tensions between US and China may hurt Las Vegas’ Casino Revenue
- Nevada Gaming Watchdog forces Casinos to submit their reopening plans
- Star Entertainment announces $2.3bn funding for Queen’s Wharf casino resort in Brisbane
- Air New Zealand announces layoff for 300 engineering and Maintenance jobs
In an announcement made on Tuesday, Disney Research...Read More
On the eve of Christmas season and with the...Read More
Do you hate fingerprints on your car’s infotainment...Read More