More Americans Dying Due To Alcohol Addiction
A recent report has shown that alcohol is claiming higher number of lives in America. The rate at which people are dying due to alcohol consumption has not seen in past 35 years, according to a new federal data.
According to the report, in 2014, there were about 9.6 deaths from alcohol-induced causes, including alcohol poisoning and cirrhosis, per 100,000 people. The data shows an increase of 37% since 2002.
The data on the alcohol-induced fatalities excludes deaths from drunken driving, other accidents and homicides committed under the influence of alcohol, said experts. They said if these causes were included in the report, then the annual toll of deaths directly or indirectly caused by alcohol would be closer to 90,000, according to the US Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC).
In past recent years, the public health experts have highly stressed on overdose deaths from heroin and prescription painkillers, which have risen rapidly since the early 2000s. But data showed that in 2014 more number of people died from alcohol-induced causes than from overdoses of prescription painkillers and heroin combined, said the CDC.
The total number of deaths from alcohol were 30, 722 whereas the total number of deaths from overdoses of prescription painkillers and heroin combined were 28, 647.
Philip J. Cook, a Duke University professor who studies alcohol consumption patterns and their effects, said, “Since the prevalence of heavy drinking tends to follow closely with per capita consumption, it is likely that one explanation for the growth in alcohol-related deaths is that more people are drinking more”.
- Nikola Motors puts hydrogen fuel-cell semi truck Badger project on back burner
- BMW expands vehicle recall over battery issue to more than 4,500 U.S. plug-in hybrids
- Karma Automotive announces attractive price tag & unique features for upcoming GSe-6 electric sedan
- Twin River acquires iconic Bally’s brand from Caesars Entertainment for $20 million
- Wynn Resorts’ Encore to close for 3 days a week due to low demand
New Zealand News
- The Importance of Casinos to Cryptocurrencies
- ACMA asks Fortune Clock Casino and Dinkum customers to withdraw funds or risk losing money permanently
- Mercedes-Benz’s upcoming EQ electric cars to allow users to choose the sound they want to vehicle to make
- Mohegan Gaming-led consortium reportedly files bid for license to build & operate Athens casino
- Eyas Gaming Ltd eager to enter Germany’s regulated online gaming space
American gaming and hospitality giant Boyd Gaming...Read More
An American citizen who had boasted in front of an...Read More
Pushing the long-awaited Chicago casino project...Read More
A study was conducted to evaluate the effect a...Read More
Tech biggie Google’s recent filing with the US...Read More