Video Shows Some Clever Crows Making Tools to Catch Meal in Wild
Scientists recently captured footage of a group of clever crows that were caught making tools for hunting down their prey in the wild. The footage shows the New Caledonian corvids making hunting tools.
The footage was captured by a pair of researchers from the university of Exeter and University of St Andrews. The findings of the study were reported in the Royal Society’s journal Biology Letters, said study authors Dr Jolyon Troscianko and Dr Christian Rutz.
The duo said the brainy crows were filmed at the time when the birds were using the hooked sticks to snag insects from crevices.
The researchers said this ability of birds has been earlier known to researchers, but this is for the first time when someone was successful in filming the behavior of the birds in wild.
The researchers, in order to capture the footage, developed tiny crow-cams to observe the birds in their native island habitat i.e. in the South pacific.
It has been known that the New Caledonian crows are highly intelligent animals, and this behavioral experiment has shown that the famous feathered tool users are even capable of a relatively high level of reasoning.
Dr Troscianko, a postdoctoral researcher at Exeter, said, “While fieldworkers had previously obtained brief glimpses of hooked stick tool manufacture, the only video footage to date came from baited feeding sites, where tool raw materials and probing tasks had been provided to crows by scientists”.
He further said that they further want to capture a close-up video of birds making hunting tools under completely natural conditions.
- Hyundai Ioniq Electric tops GreenerCars’ 2021 “greenest” list; Ram 1500 TRX ranked “meanest” vehicle
- Pennsylvania casino representatives urge state lawmakers to limit VGTs & ban illegal skill gaming
- Hyundai announces battery leasing accord to trim down EV prices, coordinate reuse
- Samsung SDI to invest $849 million to expand EV battery plant in Hungary
- Pennsylvania Lottery on track to break revenue record: Drew Svitko
New Zealand News
- Tesla to design & build affordable EV in China: Tom Zhu
- First deliveries of all-electric Porsche in Australia to take place this weekend
- Crown Resorts suffers record six-month loss due to COVID-19 closures
- Australia’s Crown Resorts 'not suitable' for Sydney gaming license: Inquiry Commission
- What Does Phasing Out Cheques Tell Us About Finance in New Zealand?
American gaming and hospitality giant Boyd Gaming...Read More
An American citizen who had boasted in front of an...Read More
Pushing the long-awaited Chicago casino project...Read More
A study was conducted to evaluate the effect a...Read More
Tech biggie Google’s recent filing with the US...Read More