Apple’s streaming push means smaller checks for recording artists
Many recording artists are concerned over Apple Inc.'s plan to acquire Beats Electronics as the Cupertino-based tech giant's push further into streaming could decrease their earnings.
Zoe Keating last year earned $38,196 by selling downloads on Apple's iTunes service, and around $34,000 from three other download services. But, five streaming services, including Spotify and Pandora, could collectively fetched her merely $6,381.
As consumers will shift away from buying to streaming, recording artists like Keating could suffer a decrease in royalties by the newer subscription services.
Expressing her concern, Keating said, "iTunes downloads help me pay my monthly mortgage. Unless you are a mega-star, you can't count on the same for streaming services. Me and a lot of my music artist friends are worried about the switch from music buyers to music listeners."
The recording industry as a whole is also suffering from the same dilemma. The industry is complaining that streaming is while growing but it not making up for decreasing physical and online purchases.
Global recording industry will generate estimated revenue of $19.6 billion in the twelve month through December 2014. But, industry researcher Strategy Analytics has cautioned that the industry will suffer a drastic fall in revenue in the next few years.
- Tesla’s Model 3 EV with 93-mile range being advertised on Canadian website
- Tesla delays deliveries of refreshed Model S and Model X electric vehicles
- Tesla offering 50% discount on Supercharging at night in California
- GM takes wraps off Hummer EV SUV version; International launch scheduled for 2023
- Toyota’s plug-in car sales in U.S. jump to almost 10,000 in first quarter of 2021
New Zealand News
- Hyundai Motor Corp to create ultra-fast EV charging network E-pit in Korea
- MGE gets six-month extension for South Korea’s Inspire Entertainment Resort development project
- Price of two cheapest trims of Tesla Model 3 electric sedan increased by $500
- Genting Malaysia asks employees to accept reduced pay; executives to take leave without pay
- Tesla to design & build affordable EV in China: Tom Zhu
The Health Department of Northwest Michigan has...Read More
American gaming and hospitality giant Boyd Gaming...Read More
An American citizen who had boasted in front of an...Read More
Pushing the long-awaited Chicago casino project...Read More
A study was conducted to evaluate the effect a...Read More
Tech biggie Google’s recent filing with the US...Read More