Japanese Eel Classified as Endangered
Lately, the International Union for Conservation (IUCN) announced of including the Japanese eel into the red list of endangered species.
As per the IUCN, loss of habitat, overfishing, pollution, change in oceanic currents and barriers to migrations are major reasons for putting the Japanese eel into the list of endangered species.
"While the status of this species is of great concern, the assessment of the Japanese Eel and other eels is a hugely positive step", affirmed Dr. Matthew Gollock, Head of the IUCN Anguillid Specialist Sub-Group.
The inclusion of the Japanese eel into the red list of endangered species will allow them to take measures to conserve eel species. Talking about its effect then the announcement would certainly levy restrictions on the international trade of the fish, which is definitely a matter of concern for eel traders in Japan.
If local sources would not be able to fulfill the demand then they would be left with no other option but to import it from places like China or South Korea. Eel, which is quite rich in vitamins and minerals, is quite popular in Japan.
A trader said that if further restrictions will be introduced on the import and export then they will be forced to shut down. The news has also raised concerns among restaurant owners as limited supply would affect their sales.
As per the IUCN, the eels were overly exploited in Japan that brought a noticeable decline in their population. In the past three decades, eel population has declined by 90%.
- Tesla’s Model 3 EV with 93-mile range being advertised on Canadian website
- Tesla delays deliveries of refreshed Model S and Model X electric vehicles
- Tesla offering 50% discount on Supercharging at night in California
- GM takes wraps off Hummer EV SUV version; International launch scheduled for 2023
- Toyota’s plug-in car sales in U.S. jump to almost 10,000 in first quarter of 2021
New Zealand News
- Hyundai Motor Corp to create ultra-fast EV charging network E-pit in Korea
- MGE gets six-month extension for South Korea’s Inspire Entertainment Resort development project
- Price of two cheapest trims of Tesla Model 3 electric sedan increased by $500
- Genting Malaysia asks employees to accept reduced pay; executives to take leave without pay
- Tesla to design & build affordable EV in China: Tom Zhu
The Health Department of Northwest Michigan has...Read More
American gaming and hospitality giant Boyd Gaming...Read More
An American citizen who had boasted in front of an...Read More
Pushing the long-awaited Chicago casino project...Read More
A study was conducted to evaluate the effect a...Read More
Tech biggie Google’s recent filing with the US...Read More