Ohio lawmakers clear bill that represents pushback on green energy
Ohio lawmakers on Wednesday passed a bill that would freeze the phasing-in of electricity/power that utilities must purchase from renewable energy sources.
The Ohio House of Representatives cleared the bill by 54-38 votes. It is now expected to be signed into law by Governor John R. Kasich, who played a key role in negotiating the final draft of the bill.
The government wants to roll back the incentives and mandates that were originally offered to renewable energy producers in 2008 to help them compete better against traditional fossil fuel energy producers. However, renewable energy still accounts for just 6 per cent of the country's total power production.
Opponents of the incentives and mandates argued that wind and solar power should now compete on their own with traditional fossil fuels as their costs have significantly slipped over the recent years.
However, the renewable energy industry of the US has cautioned that frequent changes in government policies would create uncertainty, which would in turn discourage investments in the clean energy sector.
Todd Foley, of the American Council on Renewable Energy, said, "Energy markets are highly policy-driven. When states and even the federal government continually revisit these policies, it sends a signal of uncertainty. It chills market and investment momentum."
Since mid of last year, more than a twelve states of the U. S. have taken up proposals to either weaken or remove green energy incentives and mandates.
- Colorado Casinos get green signal to reopen next week
- U.S. Authorities Grant Approval for Tribal Casino in Park City
- Washington’s Puyallup Tribe opens new-fangled $400 million Emerald Queen Casino Tacoma
- Ohio Governor DeWine allows casinos and racinos to resume operations on June 18th
- Drew Las Vegas casino resort project’s future becomes uncertain as developer defaults on debt obligations
- Morongo Casino Resort employee tests positive for COVID-19 weeks after reopening
- MGM Resorts’ Excalibur Hotel & Casino in Las Vegas to reopen its doors on Thursday
- Nikola Motors stock jumps after the company announced electric truck reservation date
- Nevada’s El Cortez Hotel & Casino excited to welcome guests back after prolonged COVID-19 lockdown
- Fantasy Springs Resort Casino reopens its doors to the public
New Zealand News
- BetConstruct obtains license to offer Sportsbook and Casino products in Swedish market
- SkyCity reports “encouraging” business since reopening of three casinos following COVID-19 shutdown
- The Star Sydney Hotel & Casino signs new 20-year tax agreement with EGM exclusivity
- Air New Zealand plans to shed 2,000 more jobs to deal with low demand
- Macau Gambling King Stanley Ho passes away aged 98
Docker CEO Ben Golub said in an earlier-this-week...Read More
In a blog post published on Thursday, Facebook’s...Read More
Tech giant Microsoft has announced the launch of a...Read More
At the CES 2016 event to be held in Las Vegas from...Read More
In an announcement made on Tuesday, Disney Research...Read More