Detroit schools close early to avoid severe thunderstorms
Detroit Public Schools on Wednesday closed a couple of hours early today to avoid imminent severe thunderstorms, which had been forecast to dump several inches of rain in Metro Detroit region over the next 24 hours.
School authorities said they decided to close all schools in the area two hours earlier than their scheduled times so that students and teachers could return home safely.
A statement released by the authorities read, "All Detroit Public Schools will dismiss two hours earlier than their scheduled bell times today, Sept. 10, to allow students and staff to return home safely before the heavy thunderstorms expected this evening."
The earliest discharge took place at 12:40 p. m., while the last dismissal took place at 2:10 p. m. All students were served lunch before leaving schools.
Afternoon Career Technical programs and all after-school programs were also cancelled due to the imminent thunderstorms.
The City of Detroit has already suffered at least two powerful thunderstorms in the recent past. On September 5, thunderstorms damaged several power lines, leaving more than 385,000 residents without power. Earlier on August 11, powerful floods after heavy rains swamped metro Detroit that led to widespread gridlock across the city.
- New ET7 Electric Sedan Brings NIO Closer To Fully Autonomous Driving Capability
- Massachusetts Governor Baker’s 25% capacity rule is death warrant for Casinos: Richard McGowan
- San Diego Tribal Casinos refute report blaming them of spreading COVID-19
- Tennessee reports robust $131.4 million sports betting handle in November
- Nikola Motor electric waste management truck deal with Republic Services cancelled
New Zealand News
- What Does Phasing Out Cheques Tell Us About Finance in New Zealand?
- South Korean casino operator GKL closes third casino amid soaring cases of COVID-19
- Top Live Casinos in India and Pure Casino Signup Offer
- Independent MP Justin Field making efforts to prevent NSW from compensating Crown Resorts
- President-elect Biden’s Climate Plan to provide big boost to EVs and green power
American gaming and hospitality giant Boyd Gaming...Read More
An American citizen who had boasted in front of an...Read More
Pushing the long-awaited Chicago casino project...Read More
A study was conducted to evaluate the effect a...Read More
Tech biggie Google’s recent filing with the US...Read More