Cancer Patients’ Nicotine dependency has little impact of E-Cigarettes’ Use
A latest peer-reviewed journal has revealed that cancer patients, who smoke e-cigarettes along with traditional cigarettes, are more likely to be nicotine dependent and are less likely to quit smoking traditional cigarettes when compared to the non-users.
The study raises lot of questions on the potential benefits of e-cigarettes to help cancer patients give up smoking. Dr. Jamie Ostroff of the Memorial Sloan Kettering Cancer Center said, "Consistent with recent observations of increased e-cigarette use in the general population, our findings illustrate that e-cigarette use among tobacco-dependent cancer patients has increased within the past two years".
Doctors highly recommend that cancer patients should quit smoking due to the potential risks associated with persistent smoking. Considering this fact, the rising popularity of the e-cigarettes has raised safety concerns among healthcare providers as well as among patients. There are concerns as to whether the use of e-cigarettes helps or obstructs the person's efforts to control smoking.
In this study, researchers evaluated the clinical data about e-cigarette use as well as cessation among cancer patients. In all, they studied around 1,074 cancer patients who smoked and were enrolled between 2012 and 2013 for the tobacco treatment program within a comprehensive cancer center.
Researchers found a three-fold increase in the use of e-cigarette from 2012-2013. They observed that at the beginning of the study, the e-cigarette users were highly dependent on nicotine when compared to the non-users and had made several prior quit attempts. Also, the e-cigarette users were found to be more vulnerable to be diagnosed with lung or head and neck cancers.
A follow up in this research observed that the e-cigarette users were more likely to be smoking as in them the abstinence rate was 44.4% and for non-users it was 43.1%.
- Fully vaccinated gamblers no longer need to wear face mask inside Nevada casinos
- Development of web resources
- Hyundai’s luxury brand Genesis to make European debut with launch of Electrified G80
- Canoo seeks patent to protect modular & customizable EV platform architecture
- Democratic Senator Tom Carper wants Biden administration to ban gas-powered cars by 2035
New Zealand News
- Tesla offering new discounts & perks in China amid negative press
- Electric Vehicle Council slams Victoria Government for proposed punitive mileage tax on electric cars
- Chinese EV brand Ora unveils VW Beetle-inspired electric car Punk Cat
- Swapping personal car for e-bicycle saved over $50,000 in just 7 years: San Francisco woman
- Hyundai Motor Corp to create ultra-fast EV charging network E-pit in Korea
The Health Department of Northwest Michigan has...Read More
American gaming and hospitality giant Boyd Gaming...Read More
An American citizen who had boasted in front of an...Read More
Pushing the long-awaited Chicago casino project...Read More
A study was conducted to evaluate the effect a...Read More
Tech biggie Google’s recent filing with the US...Read More