Industrial pollution responsible for Detroit’s rising asthma rates
Polluters are responsible for the agony and sufferings of many Detroit kids who have to live a compromised quality of life due to various respiratory issues like asthma.
A visit to area hospitals can easily prove that Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Disease (COPD) and other conditions among children in the city are on the rise. According to a recent study of asthma hospitalization, certain Detroit zip codes have 3 to 6 times higher respiratory issues-related admissions than the state as a whole.
The study also found that the highest number of pediatric asthma cases in Michigan has been registered in Wayne County. Many families that are being referred to hospitals for asthma are from Detroit's downriver area, viz. Ecorse and River Rouge, which are infamous for shortage of qualified doctors.
People, particularly kids, are more at asthma risk in Detroit's downriver area because poorer quality of air they breathe. It may be noted here that the area is heavily industrialized. Pollution from the industries is the biggest reason for the growing number of asthma cases.
Exposure to sulfur dioxide (SO2) can have major impacts to human health. It causes aggravation of asthma and other respiratory conditions. The health consequences that local communities are facing have prompted the Michigan Department of Community Health to declare the area the "Epicenter of Asthma" burden.
- Fully vaccinated gamblers no longer need to wear face mask inside Nevada casinos
- Development of web resources
- Hyundai’s luxury brand Genesis to make European debut with launch of Electrified G80
- Canoo seeks patent to protect modular & customizable EV platform architecture
- Democratic Senator Tom Carper wants Biden administration to ban gas-powered cars by 2035
New Zealand News
- Tesla offering new discounts & perks in China amid negative press
- Electric Vehicle Council slams Victoria Government for proposed punitive mileage tax on electric cars
- Chinese EV brand Ora unveils VW Beetle-inspired electric car Punk Cat
- Swapping personal car for e-bicycle saved over $50,000 in just 7 years: San Francisco woman
- Hyundai Motor Corp to create ultra-fast EV charging network E-pit in Korea
The Health Department of Northwest Michigan has...Read More
American gaming and hospitality giant Boyd Gaming...Read More
An American citizen who had boasted in front of an...Read More
Pushing the long-awaited Chicago casino project...Read More
A study was conducted to evaluate the effect a...Read More
Tech biggie Google’s recent filing with the US...Read More