As League of Legends gains popularity, the owners earns $1 billion in revenue
League of Legends has quickly grabbed its place among the largest games with high user base. It is a very difficult game with a highly volatile meta-game and constant patches and additions from the developer. Despite this, the same patterns come in every single game, particularly when anyone looks at a total of 100,000 players over 10,000 games.
Riot Games, the company behind "League of Legends," has a very unusual business model.
In January, it boasted of amazing 27 million daily active players and has around 67 million active monthly players.
According to Marc Merrill, a Riot Games co-founder and the company president, the tournaments function as marketing to bring in new players and to motivate loyalty in regulars.
The League of Legends Worlds tournament is taking place this month. The grand finale will be next Sunday, October 19th, in Seoul, South Korea. Interested gamers can keep an eye on Kotaku's League of Legends, and highlight Reel to keep tabs on the results.
There is also a video related to the tournament, including a short interview with Cloud9, one of the teams competing in the quarterfinals. The remarkable video aggregates the movements of 100,000 players over the span of 10,000 League of Legends games.
If anyone wants to see more detailed videos, the NY Times also assembled aggregations of the movements of every role in the game, including the carry and support, mid-laner, top-laner and the jungler.
If someone has ever played League of Legends, must have found it an interesting series of videos to watch, particularly ahead of the World Championship Semifinals that started later today.
- Alaska’s first electric school bus operating efficiently in minus 40-degree temperatures
- E-ONE bags first order for electric fire truck from Mesa Fire & Medical Department
- Genesis releases teaser image of Electrified GV70 ahead of Guangzhou Auto Show
- Daimler's Mitsubishi Fuso Delivered 300 eCanter Trucks
- Ukraine looks for effective female politicians
New Zealand News
- Porsche reportedly developing electric version of 718 sports car
- Tesla Model Y Performance becomes little bit more expensive to order in China
- Porsche’s recently unveiled Mission R Concept previews electric race cars of future
- Chinese manufacturer GAC’s Aion V e-SUV can charge 0-80% in just 8 minutes
- Oshidori International exits Japanese casino race, citing serious ethical irregularities
The federally-recognized Eastern Band of Cherokee...Read More
Five Midwestern US states are all set to get a big...Read More
Las Vegas, the highest revenue gaming market in...Read More
American bicycle manufacturer Ride1Up has opened...Read More
Just a few hours after the announcement of sale of...Read More
Horseshoe Baltimore, the second largest casino in...Read More