Residents put on Alert as Lava Flow from Kilauea Volcano Continues to Advance
On Sunday, local authorities announced that the lava flow from an erupting volcano has advanced about 250 yards since Saturday morning. The lava was flowing at the rate of around about 10 to 15 yards an hour.
Due to the lava flow’s advancement, many residents in a rural area of Hawaii were put on an alert. Darryl Oliveira, director of civil defense for Hawaii County, said that the lava passed through a Buddhist cemetery. It covered the grave sites in rural region of Puna.
The nearest home from the flow front is at least 300 yards. Oliveira affirmed that residents living in the nearest home affirmed that they can see the flow from their balcony and are prepared to evacuate. Authorities concerned have asked the residents to complete all the needed preparations by Tuesday, as there can be an evacuation.
The officials also stated that depending on the flow rate, the evacuation plan can be changed. As per Oliveira, there were at least 50 to 60 structures, including homes and businesses that can be impacted.
On Saturday, authorities concerned went door-to-door to inform residents about the need to be ready for evacuation. Majority of people have decided where they could go and very few have affirmed that they may need to go to a shelter.
Since 1983, Kilauea volcano has been erupting and majority of the lava has flowed to south. Over the past two years, the lava has flowed to the northeast. From June, the lava flow has come to a level, where it is threatening Pahoa.
The flow front is 35 feet wide. As mentioned above, if the lava continues to move at the speed of about 10 to 15 yards then it could cover Highway 130 within a week or two. “The viability of the town will remain. A flow field here will just add another aspect to an already unique town”, affirmed officials.
- Fully vaccinated gamblers no longer need to wear face mask inside Nevada casinos
- Development of web resources
- Hyundai’s luxury brand Genesis to make European debut with launch of Electrified G80
- Canoo seeks patent to protect modular & customizable EV platform architecture
- Democratic Senator Tom Carper wants Biden administration to ban gas-powered cars by 2035
New Zealand News
- Tesla offering new discounts & perks in China amid negative press
- Electric Vehicle Council slams Victoria Government for proposed punitive mileage tax on electric cars
- Chinese EV brand Ora unveils VW Beetle-inspired electric car Punk Cat
- Swapping personal car for e-bicycle saved over $50,000 in just 7 years: San Francisco woman
- Hyundai Motor Corp to create ultra-fast EV charging network E-pit in Korea
The Health Department of Northwest Michigan has...Read More
American gaming and hospitality giant Boyd Gaming...Read More
An American citizen who had boasted in front of an...Read More
Pushing the long-awaited Chicago casino project...Read More
A study was conducted to evaluate the effect a...Read More
Tech biggie Google’s recent filing with the US...Read More