Detroit gets its first Little Free Library
Detroit on Thursday saw the installation of the first of the twenty tiny libraries that are to be put up as part of the Little Free Libraries movement in the Motor City.
Todd Bol, the founder of the Little Free Libraries movement, oversaw the installation of a small, glass-enclosed wooden box filled with donated books next to the North Rosedale Park Community House.
Filled with donated books and installed in public places, the little libraries urge passersby to take one or donate one.
Bol erected the first Little Free Library in front of his own home in Wisconsin nearly five years back in memory of his mother. Now there are as many as twenty thousand little libraries around the globe, from Russia to remote Canadian islands.
Speaking about the initiative, Bol said, "These libraries open that door to the sweet side of us where we really want to get along with our neighbors, and we really want to help each other."
Detroit will get 19 more Little Free Libraries at public places like Murphy Play Lot in Corktown, the Ruth Ellis Drop in center in Highland Park, and Westminster Church in northwest Detroit, as well as residential homes in Boston Edison and Palmer Woods.
Bol pledged to install 20 of the miniature libraries in Detroit after Detroit News staff writer Kim Kozlowski launched a $25,000-fundraising campaign in September to install free libraries to encourage literacy and community engagement.
- New ET7 Electric Sedan Brings NIO Closer To Fully Autonomous Driving Capability
- Massachusetts Governor Baker’s 25% capacity rule is death warrant for Casinos: Richard McGowan
- San Diego Tribal Casinos refute report blaming them of spreading COVID-19
- Tennessee reports robust $131.4 million sports betting handle in November
- Nikola Motor electric waste management truck deal with Republic Services cancelled
New Zealand News
- What Does Phasing Out Cheques Tell Us About Finance in New Zealand?
- South Korean casino operator GKL closes third casino amid soaring cases of COVID-19
- Top Live Casinos in India and Pure Casino Signup Offer
- Independent MP Justin Field making efforts to prevent NSW from compensating Crown Resorts
- President-elect Biden’s Climate Plan to provide big boost to EVs and green power
American gaming and hospitality giant Boyd Gaming...Read More
An American citizen who had boasted in front of an...Read More
Pushing the long-awaited Chicago casino project...Read More
A study was conducted to evaluate the effect a...Read More
Tech biggie Google’s recent filing with the US...Read More