More Number of International Students Coming to Study in Washington
On Monday, the Institute of International Education (IIE) released a data that highlights the popularity of Washington State. An impressive rise of 11% has been witnessed in the number of international students in Washington from 2011-12 to 2012-13.
Over the four years, the number has increased by 55%. In the 2012-13 academic year, about 25,500 international students have studied in Washington. They made up 7% of the state's college population.
Other states that attracted college population from other countries were Massachusetts, New York, Delaware and the District of Columbia. On the other hand, a decline has been seen in number of students from Washington colleges studying abroad over the four years.
As many as 127,000 students were enrolled for the four-year public and private universities in Washington and just about 6,200 students studied abroad in 2012-13.
Factors that attract international students to Washington are tech-driven economy, its location on Pacific Rim, state's connections with Asia and state institutions have always embraced growth in international education.
Washington has seen cuts in state financing for higher education. In such a scenario, international students are now seen as a way to improve their budgets. It has been said so, as they pay as much as three times the tuition that Washington students pay.
Peggy Blumenthal, senior counselor to the IIE's president, Allan Goodman, said that many people say that international students are crowding out local students. But such is not the case, as universities are using international students to shore up their budgets.
As per the report, international students also spend a lot in the local economy. Last year, they have spent $737 million for food, clothing, entertainment, housing, tuition and other expenses. As per experts, students who study abroad learn how to navigate in a totally different environment and it helps them in their future.
- LG Chem to supply battery cells for Tesla’s Model Y electric SUV in China
- GiG extends sports-betting partnership with North Macedonia casino operator KAK DOO Skopje
- Payment Options for Indian Bettors on Online Casinos Operating in India
- Ohio’s Mahoning Valley Race Course cancels live horse racing for 2 weeks after employee tests positive for Covid-19
- Arcimoto creates new Roadster model by chopping top off 3-wheeled e-car’s top
New Zealand News
- Top Live Casinos in India and Pure Casino Signup Offer
- Independent MP Justin Field making efforts to prevent NSW from compensating Crown Resorts
- President-elect Biden’s Climate Plan to provide big boost to EVs and green power
- Almost 90% of new electricity production in 2020 will be renewable: EPA
- The Importance of Casinos to Cryptocurrencies
American gaming and hospitality giant Boyd Gaming...Read More
An American citizen who had boasted in front of an...Read More
Pushing the long-awaited Chicago casino project...Read More
A study was conducted to evaluate the effect a...Read More
Tech biggie Google’s recent filing with the US...Read More