Grand Rapids man arrested for beating death of Joel Battaglia in 1990
A Grand Rapids man has been arrested for beating a young man to death on Lake Drive SE more than two decades ago, officials confirmed.
Police said 56-year-old Aurelias Jualious Marshall was booked into the Kent County Jail on Thursday, December 18, on an open murder charge. He was arrested in November on a felony perjury charge, but was released after he posted a $200,000 bond.
Police say Marshall was among three other people, including his brother, who lied to investigators about a probe into the murder of 23-year-old Joel Battaglia on June 11, 1990.
Battaglia was about to begin classes in a teaching curriculum at Aquinas College. He left Eastown-based Mulligan's Pub at around 1:45 a. m. on June 11, 1990. Not long after, his body was found severely injured in front of Trinity United Methodist Church. He died a few hours later. A medical examiner said a multiple blunt force trauma to his head was the cause of his death.
Battaglia's parents said they were thankful to the detectives and prosecutors who never let the case die.
When contacted, Gail Battaglia said, "I'm so grateful to the detectives who worked on this, so diligently, who believed they could find an answer and also to Bill Forsyth, the prosecutor, who never let this case die."
Marshall is currently being held without bond in the Kent County Jail, pending arraignment this Friday for open murder.
- DraftKings signs deal with Casino Queen to offer sports betting services in Illinois
- San Manuel unveils new smoking, alcohol consumption guidelines amid soaring COVID-19 cases in Southern California
- US District Court Judge dismisses lawsuit questioning Texas tribal casino’s sovereign immunity
- JPMorgan, Goldman Sachs bullish on British bookmakers Flutter Entertainment and William Hill
- Tesla Model S ‘Long Range Plus’ offers 402 miles range on Single Charge
- Morongo Casino Resort employee tests positive for COVID-19 weeks after reopening
- MGM Resorts’ Excalibur Hotel & Casino in Las Vegas to reopen its doors on Thursday
- Nikola Motors stock jumps after the company announced electric truck reservation date
- Nevada’s El Cortez Hotel & Casino excited to welcome guests back after prolonged COVID-19 lockdown
- Fantasy Springs Resort Casino reopens its doors to the public
New Zealand News
- Philippines government warns public not to patronize illegal online gambling operations
- Eldorado Resorts’ capital raising plans could be catalyst to finalize $17.3bn Caesars deal
- BetConstruct obtains license to offer Sportsbook and Casino products in Swedish market
- SkyCity reports “encouraging” business since reopening of three casinos following COVID-19 shutdown
- The Star Sydney Hotel & Casino signs new 20-year tax agreement with EGM exclusivity
Docker CEO Ben Golub said in an earlier-this-week...Read More
In a blog post published on Thursday, Facebook’s...Read More
Tech giant Microsoft has announced the launch of a...Read More
At the CES 2016 event to be held in Las Vegas from...Read More
In an announcement made on Tuesday, Disney Research...Read More