America’s Oldest Man Passes away at 110 on Tuesday
The oldest man in the country, residing in northern Illinois Rockford passed away on Tuesday. The Sweden-born man, Conrad Johnson died at 110 years and 338 days.
Robert Young, Senior Database Administrator for the national Gerontology Research Group, mentioned that Johnson was the oldest verified American man. He was born before Albert Einstein introduced his theory of relativity and he saw 19 US presidents take office.
Johnson lived in Rockford most of his life starting from when he left his family farm to move to the US at 19 years old. He then pursued a career in carpentry.
He lived in his home in Rockford until 102 and then moved to a retirement community. He was moved to a nursing home. Johnson passed away after his health deteriorated following a stroke back in April.
He was one of ten children and had lots of nephews and nieces but outlived them all. His only survivor is a nephew, Edward Johnson of New Brunswick, New Jersey.
The Daily Mail reported that he was married twice but never had children. His first wife died in 1988 after suffering from Parkinson's disease while his second wife lost a battle to cancer in 2002.
He was an acquaintance of Rev. Jane McChesney of Tabor Lutheran Church. She described him as smart, good-humoured, a self-made man and 'very giving'. Johnson also earned a reputation for being quite the ladies' man.
On his 109th birthday, he told the Register Star, "I feel good and I haven't been sick for a long, long time. He said that he owed his long life to daily exercise, a diet of oatmeal for breakfast, daily prayers and early nights".
Now, the oldest man in the world is Sakari Momoi from Saitama City, Japan, who is set to turn 112 on February 5, 2015.
- Tesla’s Model 3 EV with 93-mile range being advertised on Canadian website
- Tesla delays deliveries of refreshed Model S and Model X electric vehicles
- Tesla offering 50% discount on Supercharging at night in California
- GM takes wraps off Hummer EV SUV version; International launch scheduled for 2023
- Toyota’s plug-in car sales in U.S. jump to almost 10,000 in first quarter of 2021
New Zealand News
- Hyundai Motor Corp to create ultra-fast EV charging network E-pit in Korea
- MGE gets six-month extension for South Korea’s Inspire Entertainment Resort development project
- Price of two cheapest trims of Tesla Model 3 electric sedan increased by $500
- Genting Malaysia asks employees to accept reduced pay; executives to take leave without pay
- Tesla to design & build affordable EV in China: Tom Zhu
The Health Department of Northwest Michigan has...Read More
American gaming and hospitality giant Boyd Gaming...Read More
An American citizen who had boasted in front of an...Read More
Pushing the long-awaited Chicago casino project...Read More
A study was conducted to evaluate the effect a...Read More
Tech biggie Google’s recent filing with the US...Read More