Grand Rapids experiences snow drought in December
Grand Rapids literally witnessed a snow drought this December as the city received the lowest amount of snow in the first 25 days of the month in nearly seven decades.
According to the National Weather Service (NWS), Grand Rapids received just three-tenths of an inch of snow in the first twenty-five days of December this year. It is the least snow that the city received since 1946, when just five- tenths of an inch of snow fell.
The notable lack of snowfall is in sharp contrast to the 31 inches of snowfall that the city received last month, which made November the snowiest on record in the on-record history of the city.
Nathan Jeruzal, a meteorologist for the NWS in Grand Rapids, noted that the city residents were expecting a white Christmas for sure.
Commenting on the low level of snowfall, Jeruzal said, "Going from one of the snowiest Novembers to a least-snowiest December is quite a stark change. It's the opposite of what you expect in a typical year. A lot of people thought we'd get a white Christmas for sure."
Jeruzal added that a weak El Nino irregularity forming in the Pacific Ocean could be playing a small role in the warm spell that Michigan is currently experiencing.
This year's 'green' Christmas for Grand Rapids was one of nine since the year of 1988. The average snowfall on the Christmas Day during that time period has been estimated at 3.4 inches. The most recent holidays without snowfall for Grand Rapids were in 2011 and 2012.
- Hybrids and fuel cells will stay competitive with EVs up to 2050: Toyota
- Waymo announces another $2.5 billion in funding from latest investment round
- Propella 4.0 7-speed e-bike brings numerous upgrades over previous version
- EPA range ratings for Porsche Taycan Cross Turismo released
- Tesla Model S Plaid comes with new, much more efficient electric motor technology
New Zealand News
- German automaker Volkswagen invests $620 million in Northvolt to secure EV battery supply
- Top places to see in Singapore
- Xpeng enjoys 483% year-over-year jump in May 2021 deliveries; thanks to robust sale of P7
- Tesla offering new discounts & perks in China amid negative press
- Electric Vehicle Council slams Victoria Government for proposed punitive mileage tax on electric cars
The Health Department of Northwest Michigan has...Read More
American gaming and hospitality giant Boyd Gaming...Read More
An American citizen who had boasted in front of an...Read More
Pushing the long-awaited Chicago casino project...Read More
A study was conducted to evaluate the effect a...Read More
Tech biggie Google’s recent filing with the US...Read More