Grand Rapids experiences snow drought in December
Grand Rapids literally witnessed a snow drought this December as the city received the lowest amount of snow in the first 25 days of the month in nearly seven decades.
According to the National Weather Service (NWS), Grand Rapids received just three-tenths of an inch of snow in the first twenty-five days of December this year. It is the least snow that the city received since 1946, when just five- tenths of an inch of snow fell.
The notable lack of snowfall is in sharp contrast to the 31 inches of snowfall that the city received last month, which made November the snowiest on record in the on-record history of the city.
Nathan Jeruzal, a meteorologist for the NWS in Grand Rapids, noted that the city residents were expecting a white Christmas for sure.
Commenting on the low level of snowfall, Jeruzal said, "Going from one of the snowiest Novembers to a least-snowiest December is quite a stark change. It's the opposite of what you expect in a typical year. A lot of people thought we'd get a white Christmas for sure."
Jeruzal added that a weak El Nino irregularity forming in the Pacific Ocean could be playing a small role in the warm spell that Michigan is currently experiencing.
This year's 'green' Christmas for Grand Rapids was one of nine since the year of 1988. The average snowfall on the Christmas Day during that time period has been estimated at 3.4 inches. The most recent holidays without snowfall for Grand Rapids were in 2011 and 2012.
- Tesla’s Model 3 EV with 93-mile range being advertised on Canadian website
- Tesla delays deliveries of refreshed Model S and Model X electric vehicles
- Tesla offering 50% discount on Supercharging at night in California
- GM takes wraps off Hummer EV SUV version; International launch scheduled for 2023
- Toyota’s plug-in car sales in U.S. jump to almost 10,000 in first quarter of 2021
New Zealand News
- Hyundai Motor Corp to create ultra-fast EV charging network E-pit in Korea
- MGE gets six-month extension for South Korea’s Inspire Entertainment Resort development project
- Price of two cheapest trims of Tesla Model 3 electric sedan increased by $500
- Genting Malaysia asks employees to accept reduced pay; executives to take leave without pay
- Tesla to design & build affordable EV in China: Tom Zhu
The Health Department of Northwest Michigan has...Read More
American gaming and hospitality giant Boyd Gaming...Read More
An American citizen who had boasted in front of an...Read More
Pushing the long-awaited Chicago casino project...Read More
A study was conducted to evaluate the effect a...Read More
Tech biggie Google’s recent filing with the US...Read More