Grand Rapids experiences snow drought in December
Grand Rapids literally witnessed a snow drought this December as the city received the lowest amount of snow in the first 25 days of the month in nearly seven decades.
According to the National Weather Service (NWS), Grand Rapids received just three-tenths of an inch of snow in the first twenty-five days of December this year. It is the least snow that the city received since 1946, when just five- tenths of an inch of snow fell.
The notable lack of snowfall is in sharp contrast to the 31 inches of snowfall that the city received last month, which made November the snowiest on record in the on-record history of the city.
Nathan Jeruzal, a meteorologist for the NWS in Grand Rapids, noted that the city residents were expecting a white Christmas for sure.
Commenting on the low level of snowfall, Jeruzal said, "Going from one of the snowiest Novembers to a least-snowiest December is quite a stark change. It's the opposite of what you expect in a typical year. A lot of people thought we'd get a white Christmas for sure."
Jeruzal added that a weak El Nino irregularity forming in the Pacific Ocean could be playing a small role in the warm spell that Michigan is currently experiencing.
This year's 'green' Christmas for Grand Rapids was one of nine since the year of 1988. The average snowfall on the Christmas Day during that time period has been estimated at 3.4 inches. The most recent holidays without snowfall for Grand Rapids were in 2011 and 2012.
- DraftKings signs deal with Casino Queen to offer sports betting services in Illinois
- San Manuel unveils new smoking, alcohol consumption guidelines amid soaring COVID-19 cases in Southern California
- US District Court Judge dismisses lawsuit questioning Texas tribal casino’s sovereign immunity
- JPMorgan, Goldman Sachs bullish on British bookmakers Flutter Entertainment and William Hill
- Tesla Model S ‘Long Range Plus’ offers 402 miles range on Single Charge
- Morongo Casino Resort employee tests positive for COVID-19 weeks after reopening
- MGM Resorts’ Excalibur Hotel & Casino in Las Vegas to reopen its doors on Thursday
- Nikola Motors stock jumps after the company announced electric truck reservation date
- Nevada’s El Cortez Hotel & Casino excited to welcome guests back after prolonged COVID-19 lockdown
- Fantasy Springs Resort Casino reopens its doors to the public
New Zealand News
- Philippines government warns public not to patronize illegal online gambling operations
- Eldorado Resorts’ capital raising plans could be catalyst to finalize $17.3bn Caesars deal
- BetConstruct obtains license to offer Sportsbook and Casino products in Swedish market
- SkyCity reports “encouraging” business since reopening of three casinos following COVID-19 shutdown
- The Star Sydney Hotel & Casino signs new 20-year tax agreement with EGM exclusivity
Docker CEO Ben Golub said in an earlier-this-week...Read More
In a blog post published on Thursday, Facebook’s...Read More
Tech giant Microsoft has announced the launch of a...Read More
At the CES 2016 event to be held in Las Vegas from...Read More
In an announcement made on Tuesday, Disney Research...Read More