2014 Detroit homicides fewest in nearly 5 decades: police
The number of criminal homicides in Detroit slipped to the lowest in nearly five decades in 2014, preliminary data released by the city police department showed.
According to data released by the Detroit Police Department on Friday, there were 300 criminal homicides in Detroit in the twelve months ended December 31, 2014. The figure is significantly lower than 333 homicides in 2013.
Detroit Police Chief James Craig said that the department had updated its data after reports that there were at least 304 homicides in the city last year. As of December 22, the number of slayings in the city stood at 298. Since then, at least 6 more people were slain in the city.
In the latest homicide incident, unidentified suspects killed a 29-year-old man and a 24-year-old woman. They were shot and killed on Wednesday this week while they sat in a vehicle on the city's east side - in the 4100 block of University. Police said unidentified killers pulled up in a white car and fired more than a dozen rounds at the victims.
Commenting on the homicide figures, Craig said, "A few of those had been counted as suicides or justifiable homicides. So we did a final audit and put those in the right category."
He added that decline in the number of homicides in the city was good news, but there was still a big job to do.
The previous lowest number of criminal homicides in the Motor City in the past 47 years was in 2010, when 308 incidents of homicide took place in the city. Before that, the lowest number of slayings was reported at 281 in 1967.
- DraftKings signs deal with Casino Queen to offer sports betting services in Illinois
- San Manuel unveils new smoking, alcohol consumption guidelines amid soaring COVID-19 cases in Southern California
- US District Court Judge dismisses lawsuit questioning Texas tribal casino’s sovereign immunity
- JPMorgan, Goldman Sachs bullish on British bookmakers Flutter Entertainment and William Hill
- Tesla Model S ‘Long Range Plus’ offers 402 miles range on Single Charge
- Morongo Casino Resort employee tests positive for COVID-19 weeks after reopening
- MGM Resorts’ Excalibur Hotel & Casino in Las Vegas to reopen its doors on Thursday
- Nikola Motors stock jumps after the company announced electric truck reservation date
- Nevada’s El Cortez Hotel & Casino excited to welcome guests back after prolonged COVID-19 lockdown
- Fantasy Springs Resort Casino reopens its doors to the public
New Zealand News
- Philippines government warns public not to patronize illegal online gambling operations
- Eldorado Resorts’ capital raising plans could be catalyst to finalize $17.3bn Caesars deal
- BetConstruct obtains license to offer Sportsbook and Casino products in Swedish market
- SkyCity reports “encouraging” business since reopening of three casinos following COVID-19 shutdown
- The Star Sydney Hotel & Casino signs new 20-year tax agreement with EGM exclusivity
Docker CEO Ben Golub said in an earlier-this-week...Read More
In a blog post published on Thursday, Facebook’s...Read More
Tech giant Microsoft has announced the launch of a...Read More
At the CES 2016 event to be held in Las Vegas from...Read More
In an announcement made on Tuesday, Disney Research...Read More