Google’s self-driving prototypes being built in Detroit; will be tested in California in spring
During the course of an interview ahead of an address at the World Congress automotive conference in Detroit last week, Google's self-driving project director Chris Urmson said that the company is engineering and building self-driving in collaboration with metro Detroit suppliers.
With Google working on the self-driving car project - by equipping conventional cars for testing- for the last six years, the disclosure by Urmson is an apparent indication of the fact that Google has accelerated its efforts to bring self-driving cars to market by 2020.
The company has said in a May 2014 announcement that it will build its own test fleet of self-driving cars from the ground up.
According to the details shared by Urmson, the pod-like self-driving prototypes which will be tested by Google have been manufactured in Detroit by engineering and specialty manufacturing firm Roush, located in the Detroit suburb of Livonia.
The fully-functioning self-driving prototypes to be tested by Google dispense with some of the familiar automotive parts like steering wheel and brakes. The prototypes are scheduled to undergo testing at Google facilities in California in spring this year. For testing the self-driving prototypes, Google will have a "test driver" on board, as the cars will have no provision for human intervention in steering or braking.
- LG Chem to supply battery cells for Tesla’s Model Y electric SUV in China
- GiG extends sports-betting partnership with North Macedonia casino operator KAK DOO Skopje
- Payment Options for Indian Bettors on Online Casinos Operating in India
- Ohio’s Mahoning Valley Race Course cancels live horse racing for 2 weeks after employee tests positive for Covid-19
- Arcimoto creates new Roadster model by chopping top off 3-wheeled e-car’s top
New Zealand News
- Top Live Casinos in India and Pure Casino Signup Offer
- Independent MP Justin Field making efforts to prevent NSW from compensating Crown Resorts
- President-elect Biden’s Climate Plan to provide big boost to EVs and green power
- Almost 90% of new electricity production in 2020 will be renewable: EPA
- The Importance of Casinos to Cryptocurrencies
American gaming and hospitality giant Boyd Gaming...Read More
An American citizen who had boasted in front of an...Read More
Pushing the long-awaited Chicago casino project...Read More
A study was conducted to evaluate the effect a...Read More
Tech biggie Google’s recent filing with the US...Read More