Midwest States could suffer frequent floods in future: Study
Midwest is getting soaked due to the frequent big floods and the trend is likely to continue in future. A recent study has found that Midwest has shown a rise in the floods over the last 50 years. They fear that the trend will worsen in the coming decades.
The findings of the research were based on the daily records collected by the U.S Geological Survey at 774 stream gauges in 14 states from 1962 to 2011. The research was published in the advance online edition of the journal Nature Climate Change on February 9. The National Science Foundation funded this research.
The researchers have revealed that they didn’t try to link the climate change with the increase in the number of floods. They found that the areas which experienced a rise in the floods also experienced an increase in the frequency of the heavy rainfall.
Gabriele Villarini, a University of Iowa civil and environmental engineer and the paper's corresponding author, said, “What causes the observed changes in precipitation and temperature is not something we have addressed because of the difficulties in doing so based on observational records".
The regions included in the study were Iowa, Illinois, Indiana, Wisconsin, Ohio, Michigan, Minnesota, Kansas, Nebraska, Missouri, West Virginia, Kentucky, North Dakota and South Dakota.
- Majority of Americans want COVID-19 vaccine on market before visiting Las Vegas: Macquarie Survey
- Nevada man arrested for trespassing after he allegedly refused to wear face mask at Hard Rock Casino Bar
- Stakelogic’s Dragons & Magic video slot takes players through dark forest full of mysteries
- Colorado reports $25.6 million revenue for first month of legal sports betting
- Scientific Games urges Rhode Island lawmakers to reopen bidding for instant lottery ticket contract
New Zealand News
- Cambodian casino operator NagaCorp all set to partially reopen flagship Phnom Penh gaming venue
- Bridge Investment ordered to stop work on Tinian Casino project due to lack of permits
- Philippines government warns public not to patronize illegal online gambling operations
- Eldorado Resorts’ capital raising plans could be catalyst to finalize $17.3bn Caesars deal
- BetConstruct obtains license to offer Sportsbook and Casino products in Swedish market
An American citizen who had boasted in front of an...Read More
Pushing the long-awaited Chicago casino project...Read More
A study was conducted to evaluate the effect a...Read More
Tech biggie Google’s recent filing with the US...Read More
Docker CEO Ben Golub said in an earlier-this-week...Read More