UC campuses admit fewer California residents for the fall
University of California has accepted fewer state high school students as freshmen for the fall but the number of new students from outside the state and abroad has jumped again, UC officials announced on Thursday.
According to data released by UC officials, a total of 92,324 high school students were accepted as freshmen to one of UC's nine undergraduate campuses. The figure represents 58 per cent of the total number of students who had applied for admission.
With 61,834 students from with in the state, California accounts for more than two-thirds of all the applicants who were accepted as freshmen by the public system. But it marks a decline of 1,039 from 2014.
Merely three campuses of the UC system, viz. Riverside, Merced and San Diego, admitted more California students than last year. The number of non-California students jumped by 3,453 year-over-year to 30,490. The numbers of Latino freshmen slipped at five UC campuses.
Michele Siqueiros, the president of Campaign for College Opportunity, said, "As a majority-minority state, where one in two children under the age of 18 is Latino, we simply cannot meet our economic or workforce needs without ensuring significantly more Latino and black students are admitted to the UC."
Latinos represent nearly 30 per cent of all California freshmen who have been given a spot. The figure is notably up from 25 per cent for white students and 4 per cent for black students.
- Fully vaccinated gamblers no longer need to wear face mask inside Nevada casinos
- Development of web resources
- Hyundai’s luxury brand Genesis to make European debut with launch of Electrified G80
- Canoo seeks patent to protect modular & customizable EV platform architecture
- Democratic Senator Tom Carper wants Biden administration to ban gas-powered cars by 2035
New Zealand News
- Tesla offering new discounts & perks in China amid negative press
- Electric Vehicle Council slams Victoria Government for proposed punitive mileage tax on electric cars
- Chinese EV brand Ora unveils VW Beetle-inspired electric car Punk Cat
- Swapping personal car for e-bicycle saved over $50,000 in just 7 years: San Francisco woman
- Hyundai Motor Corp to create ultra-fast EV charging network E-pit in Korea
The Health Department of Northwest Michigan has...Read More
American gaming and hospitality giant Boyd Gaming...Read More
An American citizen who had boasted in front of an...Read More
Pushing the long-awaited Chicago casino project...Read More
A study was conducted to evaluate the effect a...Read More
Tech biggie Google’s recent filing with the US...Read More