California lawmakers urge UC to act against anti-Semitism
California State Assembly on Monday approved a measure urging the University of California (UC) to denounce all forms of anti-Semitism.
Some pro-Israel groups and Jewish people have been pressing UC authorities to take up the U.S. State Department's definition of anti-Semitism, which defines more general ethnic and religious hatred against Jews. It also declares that it is anti-Semitic to demonize Israel and refuse to accept Israel's right to exist.
But, many organizations that have been protesting Israel's occupation of the West Bank have argued that such a definition would restrict right to free speech and conflate disapproval of Israel with anti-Semitism.
The resolution by the state Assembly was introduced in response to many disturbing incidents at UC, including the one in which some unknown people defaced a Jewish fraternity house with swastikas.
Assemblyman Richard Bloom, a Democrat from Santa Monica, said before a vote on the measure, "It is imperative that the California Legislature continues its strong tradition of standing up to hatred and ignorance."
Meanwhile, UC officials have declared that it will not undertake any new policies regarding anti-Jewish bias on its ten campuses at the regents' upcoming meeting. Instead, the regents will discuss various forms of intolerance, including anti-Semitism, at the subsequent meeting in September this year.
- Fully vaccinated gamblers no longer need to wear face mask inside Nevada casinos
- Development of web resources
- Hyundai’s luxury brand Genesis to make European debut with launch of Electrified G80
- Canoo seeks patent to protect modular & customizable EV platform architecture
- Democratic Senator Tom Carper wants Biden administration to ban gas-powered cars by 2035
New Zealand News
- Tesla offering new discounts & perks in China amid negative press
- Electric Vehicle Council slams Victoria Government for proposed punitive mileage tax on electric cars
- Chinese EV brand Ora unveils VW Beetle-inspired electric car Punk Cat
- Swapping personal car for e-bicycle saved over $50,000 in just 7 years: San Francisco woman
- Hyundai Motor Corp to create ultra-fast EV charging network E-pit in Korea
The Health Department of Northwest Michigan has...Read More
American gaming and hospitality giant Boyd Gaming...Read More
An American citizen who had boasted in front of an...Read More
Pushing the long-awaited Chicago casino project...Read More
A study was conducted to evaluate the effect a...Read More
Tech biggie Google’s recent filing with the US...Read More