Uncertainty looms over Identification of Whale Spotted off Gold Coast
Authorities are confused regarding whether the white whale that was spotted off the Gold Coast today is the famous Migaloo or 'Son of Migaloo'.
The whale was named Migaloo by Aboriginal Elders that means 'white fella'. The mammal is one of the members of a rare group of white whales that have been spotted swimming in Australian waters.
It has been said that on Monday, the whale was first spotted by a Seven News television helicopter at around 11 am. Officials said that if confirmed it would be the first sighting of Migaloo since his migration up the east coast of Australia last year.
Queensland's Department of Environment and Heritage Protection stated that Migaloo was first spotted in 1991 off Byron Bay to much media fanfare as he was the world's first known white humpback.
They further told that the whale when first spotted was estimated to be three to five years old. Later, when the recordings of its singing were captured in 1998 and 2003 it was identified as male.
Migaloo over past years has been spotted at various locations around Australia, and there is even a Twitter account dedicated to his migration patterns.
Oskar Peterson, who is behind operates the Twitter account, has been collating information on Migaloo since the early '90s. Peterson said that some more photos of the whale will be needed for proper identification.
But he believes that it could not be the famous Migaloo due to the migration timing, and also the newly spotted whale appeared to be smaller and younger than Migaloo, who was last spotted in Sydney and Cairns last year.
- Tesla’s Model 3 EV with 93-mile range being advertised on Canadian website
- Tesla delays deliveries of refreshed Model S and Model X electric vehicles
- Tesla offering 50% discount on Supercharging at night in California
- GM takes wraps off Hummer EV SUV version; International launch scheduled for 2023
- Toyota’s plug-in car sales in U.S. jump to almost 10,000 in first quarter of 2021
New Zealand News
- Hyundai Motor Corp to create ultra-fast EV charging network E-pit in Korea
- MGE gets six-month extension for South Korea’s Inspire Entertainment Resort development project
- Price of two cheapest trims of Tesla Model 3 electric sedan increased by $500
- Genting Malaysia asks employees to accept reduced pay; executives to take leave without pay
- Tesla to design & build affordable EV in China: Tom Zhu
The Health Department of Northwest Michigan has...Read More
American gaming and hospitality giant Boyd Gaming...Read More
An American citizen who had boasted in front of an...Read More
Pushing the long-awaited Chicago casino project...Read More
A study was conducted to evaluate the effect a...Read More
Tech biggie Google’s recent filing with the US...Read More