Unanticipated discovery of ice-age bones of Mammoth
An unanticipated discovery of the ice-age bones of a mammoth that was likely slaughtered by ancient humans was found in wheat field last week by two Michigan farmers. It was found that the bones were of an adult male mammoth that had a doomed end.
Daniel Fisher, a University of Michigan paleontologist who led the excavation, said in a statement, "We think that humans were here and may have butchered and stashed the meat [in a pond] so that they could come back later for it".
The mammoth was found on September 28 by farmer and property owner James Bristle. According to the Detroit Free Press, Bristle was installing a drainage pipe at his farm near Ann Arbor with his neighbor Trent Satterthwaite. While Bristle was digging out by using a backhoe, he excavated a bone about 3 feet long, which researchers later on documented as part of a mammoth pelvis.
After the whole scenario, Bristle contacted the University of Michigan, a team of about 15 paleontologists and university students arrived at the excavated site. As the farming season was going on, so Bristle could only give a day to the scientists to uncover the bones.
The paleontologists uncovered 20% of the mammoth's bones, which included multiple vertebrae and ribs, the skull and two tusks, the pelvis and both shoulder blades. Fisher said that it was estimated the mammoth lived 11,700 to 15,000 years ago.
"We didn't know what it was, but we knew it was certainly a lot bigger than a cow bone," Bristle said in the statement.
"When my 5-year-old grandson came over and saw the pelvis, he just stood there with his jaw wide open and stared. He was in awe," Bristle said. "So I think this was the right thing to do."
- Virginia lawmakers remain committed to ban Skill Games next year
- Long-time employee Mary Harville becomes Kentucky Lottery’s first female CEO
- iSoftBet’s much-anticipated new Western Gold Megaways video slot launched fully
- Las Vegas Convention & Visitors Authority to acquire Las Vegas Monorail for over $24 million
- Leading investment bank ‘unsure’ about upcoming Resorts World Las Vegas Casino’s success
New Zealand News
- 10 pm COVID-19 curfew will negatively impact casino workers, warns BGC
- Donaco International reports H1 net loss of AU$59 million, showing significant year-on-year improvement
- Why the NZ Dollar Could Have a Very Bright Future
- Sydney’s Star Casino fined $90,000 for allowing minors to gamble in 2019
- Danville Casino Campaign being led by former Caesars CEO Tony Rodio
An American citizen who had boasted in front of an...Read More
Pushing the long-awaited Chicago casino project...Read More
A study was conducted to evaluate the effect a...Read More
Tech biggie Google’s recent filing with the US...Read More
Docker CEO Ben Golub said in an earlier-this-week...Read More