New International Assessment shows Puffins and Turtle Doves Are at Risk of Extinction
The latest revision of a global conservation database has provided some shocking results about the four bird species of the UK. Famous puffins and turtle doves are also among the four UK birds that are at a risk of global extinction.
The latest annual revision of the International Union for Conservation of Nature (IUCN) Red List of Threatened Species for birds, lists Atlantic puffins, European turtle doves, Slavonian grebes and pochards as vulnerable to global extinction.
Now, a total of eight UK species are at the risk of global extinction, while another 14 UK species are considered to be near threatened, which means that further decline in their population will soon bring them under the threat of extinction.
The IUCN Red List has released an even worst data for the African vultures. It showed that six species of vultures are presently at high risk of extinction. Poisoning, used in traditional medicine and targeting by poachers to hide illegal animal kills, is the main cause behind their declining population.
The assessment carried out by the BirdLife International has shown that the four bird species that are at risk of global extinction are also the most threatened category of critically endangered.
According to the IUCN Red List, almost 40 bird species across the world have been facing a dramatic decline in their population. Helmeted hornbills in South East Asia, the Australian swift parrot and the chestnut-capped piha in the Central Andes of Colombia are the bird species newly listed as critically endangered.
- Tesla’s Model 3 EV with 93-mile range being advertised on Canadian website
- Tesla delays deliveries of refreshed Model S and Model X electric vehicles
- Tesla offering 50% discount on Supercharging at night in California
- GM takes wraps off Hummer EV SUV version; International launch scheduled for 2023
- Toyota’s plug-in car sales in U.S. jump to almost 10,000 in first quarter of 2021
New Zealand News
- Hyundai Motor Corp to create ultra-fast EV charging network E-pit in Korea
- MGE gets six-month extension for South Korea’s Inspire Entertainment Resort development project
- Price of two cheapest trims of Tesla Model 3 electric sedan increased by $500
- Genting Malaysia asks employees to accept reduced pay; executives to take leave without pay
- Tesla to design & build affordable EV in China: Tom Zhu
The Health Department of Northwest Michigan has...Read More
American gaming and hospitality giant Boyd Gaming...Read More
An American citizen who had boasted in front of an...Read More
Pushing the long-awaited Chicago casino project...Read More
A study was conducted to evaluate the effect a...Read More
Tech biggie Google’s recent filing with the US...Read More