Alarming number of unhealthy seal pups turning up on California coast
An alarming number of fur seal pups are turning up, emaciated and weak, on the coast of California, prompting marine experts to warn that it could be a sign of a potential oceanic distress.
Jeff Boehm, executive director of the Marine Mammal Center, said a record number of unhealthy northern fur seal pups were found stranded on beaches. Most of the stranded pups weigh only slightly more than the typical birth weight for the species.
Speaking about the poor health condition of the turning up seal pups, Boehm said, “They’re adorable, but on the other hand they’re these little bags of skin and bones.”
As of Saturday, the Marine Mammal Center had taken in nearly 90 northern fur seals. Marine experts estimate that these seals are between 4 and 5 months old. According to data available with the center, the previous record for these seals founded stranded on shore was 31 pups in 2006.
Usually, these seals live in the Pacific Ocean and near islands and are rarely found on shore.
The increasing number of stranded northern fur seals is the latest challenge in a string of alarming events that experts have been struggling for a long time to address. Previously, experts were struggled to address an unusual mortality rate among California sea lions.
- Audi Q5 e-tron to reportedly be launched in China next month
- Chip and ship shortages are main threats to Tesla’s sales growth: Elon Musk
- Rivian DC fast chargers to be eventually opened to all electric vehicles
- Tesla Gigafactory Berlin is able to produce 1 car body every 45 seconds: Elon Musk
- Chevrolet Silverado EV will have massive glass roof
New Zealand News
- Porsche reportedly developing electric version of 718 sports car
- Tesla Model Y Performance becomes little bit more expensive to order in China
- Porsche’s recently unveiled Mission R Concept previews electric race cars of future
- Chinese manufacturer GAC’s Aion V e-SUV can charge 0-80% in just 8 minutes
- Oshidori International exits Japanese casino race, citing serious ethical irregularities
Automobile giant Ford Motors has yet to announce...Read More
The National Bank of Ukraine conducted an audit of...Read More
United Parcel Service (UPS) has confirmed that it...Read More
Michigan Senate Bill 991 (SB 991), which has been...Read More
The Rivers Casino in the Pittsburgh area is once...Read More
Vincent “Uncle Mick” DelGiudice, an 85-year-old man...Read More