Janet Yellen Guides Federal Reserve in Its First Rate Rise in a Decade
Janet Yellen, the famous American economist, is helping out the Federal Reserve to carry out first rate rise in a decade. Yellen is approaching traditional economic models for introducing the change.
The 69-year-old economist argued on the point that the time is very near when there will be a rate-lift-off even though inflation has to still pick the pace. Yellen trusts the decades of studies that suggest a tight labor market eventually creates inflation pressures.
This could be a risky thing considering that global inflation is at historic lows and many central banks remain in an easing mode as their economies struggle to get any traction. If Yellen is right, then she will cement her reputation and that of her ‘dashboard’ that relies on long-established relationships between jobs, wages and prices. Yellen has already presided over the end of the Fed's bond-buying stimulus program.
But if she proved to be wrong, the Feds cold join the European Central Bank and the central banks of Sweden, Israel and Canada, all of which have tried, but failed to escape the drag of zero rates in the wake of the 2007-09 financial crisis.
Randall Kroszner, who served with Yellen as a Fed governor between 2006 and 2009, said, “It is possible, though unlikely, the traditional models are just all wrong (and) we're in a whole new world. But she's not going to fly by the seat of her pants”.
- Casino tycoon Sheldon Adelson emerges as biggest US political donor over past two decades
- Donald Trump losing voter base and attacks Bubba Wallace on Twitter
- Illinois Governor Pritzker signs legislation into law, reducing taxes on Chicago integrated resort’s GGR
- Nebraska voters likely to face commercial Casino Ballot referendum in November 2020
- DraftKings signs deal with Casino Queen to offer sports betting services in Illinois
- Morongo Casino Resort employee tests positive for COVID-19 weeks after reopening
- MGM Resorts’ Excalibur Hotel & Casino in Las Vegas to reopen its doors on Thursday
- Nikola Motors stock jumps after the company announced electric truck reservation date
- Nevada’s El Cortez Hotel & Casino excited to welcome guests back after prolonged COVID-19 lockdown
- Fantasy Springs Resort Casino reopens its doors to the public
New Zealand News
- Bridge Investment ordered to stop work on Tinian Casino project due to lack of permits
- Philippines government warns public not to patronize illegal online gambling operations
- Eldorado Resorts’ capital raising plans could be catalyst to finalize $17.3bn Caesars deal
- BetConstruct obtains license to offer Sportsbook and Casino products in Swedish market
- SkyCity reports “encouraging” business since reopening of three casinos following COVID-19 shutdown
A study was conducted to evaluate the effect a...Read More
Tech biggie Google’s recent filing with the US...Read More
Docker CEO Ben Golub said in an earlier-this-week...Read More
In a blog post published on Thursday, Facebook’s...Read More
Tech giant Microsoft has announced the launch of a...Read More