Australian Blue-banded Bees bang Their Heads without Head-Banging Music
Researchers have discovered a bee species in Australia that bang their head at rate of about 350 times per second. The insect, known as Australian blue-banded bee, is doing so to release pollen into the air, as per the researchers.
The researchers, for the first time, have filmed the bees banging their head while getting pollen out of a flower. They were doing this at an unbelievable rate of approximately 350 times per second which will leave everyone awestruck, the researchers said.
There is a really good reason behind that head banging without head-banging music. The activity allows the bees to spend less time on every flower, the researchers from the Adelaide University explained.
The discovery showed that the bee species is a different and efficient pollinator. It could help in understanding crop pollination in a better way. It could also help in developing better crop pollination techniques. Dr Katja Hogendoorn, a bee expert from the University of Adelaide, said such types of bees need fewer bees per hectare, which is a good thing.
Hogendoorn said, “She and some colleagues found the blue-banded bee gets the pollen by banging its head on the flower's anthers at a staggering 350 times a second”. Hogendoorn’s colleague from RMIT University, Dr Sridhar Ravi, said it was interesting and surprising to the bee. The levels at which the insect was banging its head was insane. It is the highest in the animal kingdom, Ravi added.
- Development of web resources
- Hyundai’s luxury brand Genesis to make European debut with launch of Electrified G80
- Canoo seeks patent to protect modular & customizable EV platform architecture
- Democratic Senator Tom Carper wants Biden administration to ban gas-powered cars by 2035
- Tesla doesn’t spend money on ‘manipulating’ public opinion: Elon Musk
New Zealand News
- Tesla offering new discounts & perks in China amid negative press
- Electric Vehicle Council slams Victoria Government for proposed punitive mileage tax on electric cars
- Chinese EV brand Ora unveils VW Beetle-inspired electric car Punk Cat
- Swapping personal car for e-bicycle saved over $50,000 in just 7 years: San Francisco woman
- Hyundai Motor Corp to create ultra-fast EV charging network E-pit in Korea
The Health Department of Northwest Michigan has...Read More
American gaming and hospitality giant Boyd Gaming...Read More
An American citizen who had boasted in front of an...Read More
Pushing the long-awaited Chicago casino project...Read More
A study was conducted to evaluate the effect a...Read More
Tech biggie Google’s recent filing with the US...Read More